Thread: Noise when connected via USB

1. Default Noise when connected by USB

Now that Neuroprogrammer is running on the Mac and the Procyon glasses are flashing as they should I have to figure out why the flickering of the glasses is causing simultaneous flickering static in the headphones. I know the glasses are the cause because if I turn down their intensity the audio static is proportionately less. Maybe I need to use better shielded cables?

If I run Neuroprogrammer on my HP Vista x32 laptop there is a tiny bit of this static but not nearly as much.

Also, there are a few pops and clicks when listening through headphones while using the Mac. Maybe I should just resign myself to keeping the HP laptop even if it's only for Neuroprogrammer/Procyon use.
    Last edited by Andy; 01-18-2010 at 08:58 AM.

Default Re: Noise when connected via USB

I'm suspecting you're powering the Procyon off the USB while playing audio from the laptop? If so, there's problems with the way PCs and laptops are built that creates mayhem if both the USB and the sound output are connected to the same device.

I use a standard USB wallplug power supply most of the time, connecting the PC USB only if I'm updating or programming.

Also, make sure to try the headphone testing tool and the Audiostrobe setup in Neuroprogrammer. The headphone test checks for crosstalk between channels, which also affects the Audiostrobe. Usually turning off all the soundcard effects cleans this up. The AS setup optimises Neuroprammer's AS signal for the particular device and it makes a huge difference. It needs to be done whenever you make any changes to the Procyon settings, especially Anl/Dlg.

Cheers,
    Craig
    Last edited by Andy; 01-18-2010 at 08:58 AM.

3. Default Re: Procyon Rev2 Win7 x64 Driver Install

<<I'm suspecting you're powering the Procyon off the USB while playing audio from the laptop? If so, there's problems with the way PCs and laptops are built that creates mayhem if both the USB and the sound output are connected to the same device.>>

You're right. As soon as I unplugged the USB cable things got a lot quieter. Thanks.

4. Default Re: Procyon Rev2 Win7 x64 Driver Install

I discovered that if I use a USB cable with an RF choke at each end the noise also went away, enabling me to power the Procyon via the computer's USB port while using the headphones.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Procyon Rev2 Win7 x64 Driver Install

Quote Originally Posted by Hanknj1 View Post
    I discovered that if I use a USB cable with an RF choke at each end the noise also went away, enabling me to power the Procyon via the computer's USB port while using the headphones.
    That's a good tip! Thanks for letting us know.

Thread Information