Thread: Upload Proteus O/S 2.5 to a unit using O/S 2.3

Default Upload Proteus O/S 2.5 to a unit using O/S 2.3

Hello There
    My Proteus came equipped with O/S 2.3 and I have been using it with no problems.
    I would however like to upgrade to the O/S 2.5 - I have read all the threads in this forum and it appears that others in my situation experienced a major problem after attempting this upgrade. To make sure I don't also have a problem, I reprint a section of FAQ covering this operation and would like confirmation that I have the procedure correct.

Notes I have changed the following:
    Para b. I have changed three checked boxes to two checked boxes. (after doing the upgrade this line is correct)
    Para c. I have changed the file name to Proteuscode25.pts and removed some words. (after doing the upgrade this line is correct)

Upload Proteus O/S 2.5 to a unit using O/S 2.3
    a. Launch Proteus Editor and click the “Update Code” button on the top right hand side of the program window.
    b. Notice that there are two checked boxes on the lower right, under “send data to Proteus” in the above mentioned screen; in the future you can selectively upload new session data, code or user preferences separately. Leave them all checked for the moment.
    c. Point your cursor to the “Proteuscode25.pts” (exisits on my PC) file and left-click to highlight the filename.
    d. Be sure your Proteus is connected to your PC, and if necessary press the MODE (middle) button until the display reads “dL” (for “dL Download”)[/B]. Verify that the PC cable is plugged into the AUX input on the lower right side of Proteus.
    e. Now left-click the “Upload Code” button. You will see a display on screen indicating that the firmware update is downloading. The Proteus display should also show rapidly changing numbers during the download; if this is not the case then either you have not selected the correct serial port, or the serial cable is not properly connected, or you are not in dL mode.

Please could you comment. Thank you agodney

Note this posting was edited after the successful update to show the correct procedure. agodney.
    Last edited by agodney; 12-21-2006 at 09:21 PM. Reason: this posting was edited after the successful update to show the correct procedure.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Upload Proteus O/S 2.5 to a unit using O/S 2.3

The issues seem to stem more from using USB->RS232 adaptors than from the procedure itself. If you are using such an adaptor, make sure it's working well with the proteus before trying the os upgrade. Also, you still use DL mode, not PC mode.

Let us know how you make out.
    Last edited by Andy; 12-20-2006 at 07:16 PM.

Hello Andy

Thank you for the prompt reply. I am using a standard 9 pin serial cable and have been able to upload a User program successfully. I was under the impression that if the wrong choice was taken the unit was damaged and had to be returned to the supplier for repair, you intimate that this is not the case, if you get it wrong the first time using the D/L option, one simply selects the P/C mode and uploads again - no damage done - is this correct?

Robert Austin stated on the 11 October 2005:
    Just for future reference:
    --Units with version 2.3 installed must be updated in the PC rather than DL mode.

Regards Allan

4. Default Re: Upload Proteus O/S 2.5 to a unit using O/S 2.3

Hi,

the last statement should be read as:

"Whatever OS inside the Proteus - if you use the 2.3 editor, do use PC-mode for upload of new OS".

So if you are using the new 2.51 editor - use dl-mode for all upload of any OS.

The problem is the editor 2.3 - not any OS.

K.R.

MindMan
    Last edited by Andy; 04-28-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Hello Andy and Mindman

Thank you for your assistance, I have updated my O/S to 2.5. I used the dL mode not PC. I was confused between O/S 2.3 and Editor Version 2.3.

Is it a good idea to edit my original posting to state the correct procedure to obviate confusion in the future?

Thank you once again.
    Regards Allan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by agodney View Post
    Hello Andy and Mindman

Thank you for your assistance, I have updated my O/S to 2.5. I used the dL mode not PC. I was confused between O/S 2.3 and Editor Version 2.3.

Is it a good idea to edit my original posting to state the correct procedure to obviate confusion in the future?

Thank you once again.
    Regards Allan
    I'm glad you were able to get it done. Yes, mucho confusion between the two parts of 2.3. All I can say is that I'm glad we're far past that Editor now.
    I have edited some previous posts in hopes that future readers will have a clearer understanding of what to do if they are looking at a similar situation. You can modify your posts as well if you like. In the end, it's important that people who come to read these posts will understand what to do with as little confusion as possible.

-Andy.

The OS transfer for version 2.3 of the OS had to be changed due to a manufacturing problem with the "core" (bootloader) routine, which affected only one production run about two years ago. Sorry about the confusion--we'll use the latest OS in the next production run, but needed time to verify that there were no bugs before releasing it.

--Robert

Thread Information