Thread: Questions

Default Questions

Does selecting Hz in User mode affect the sessions in the primary memory or do the programmed sessions remain unchanged?
    Also when selecting a session that has for example a range of 4 to 6 Hz the session still begins with a higher range of around 12 Hz. Is there anyway to by pass the higher frequencies and go directly to the lower ones are must one sit through the various frequencies?
    Any information would be appreciated.
    Last edited by tpc; 12-19-2009 at 10:15 AM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Questions

Hello and Welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by tpc View Post
    Does selecting Hz in User mode affect the sessions in the primary memory are do the programmed sessions remain unchanged?
    The User mode is completely separate from the sessions (Pxx/Uxx) so whatever you do in User mode will not affect the sessions.
    Also when selecting a session that has for example a range of 4 to 6 Hz the session still begins with a higher range of around 12 Hz. Is there anyway to by pass the higher frequencies and go directly to the lower ones are must one sit through the various frequencies?
    I think that's on purpose to slowly bring your brain to the desired frequency. Someone else would know more about that. The programs 43-47 do start low and stay low, though. http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...read.php?t=349

In the end, you can always make your own sessions using the editor if you feel that not ramping into the desired frequency is what you want.

-Andy.

Thanks Andy.
    Also when selecting an audio file from the computer to play with the Proteus the volume on the music file can only be increased to a certain level then must be adjusted on the Proteus but the music and the pulse remain at the same levels. In other words I'm unable to adjust them separately. Is that correct or is there another way to operate the volume

Blog Entries

Any information would be appreciated.
    Hi TPC,

The reason that the programs start at a higher frequency is because it is easier to coax your brain into the desired state when you start at a frequency that is close to your present state. Normally during our waking ours, our brain waves are somewhere between 12 to 15Hz so when we start a program at a similar frequency and then slowly ramp down to the desired state, we have a better chance of our brain following the frequencies in the program.

There is no harm though in starting at a lower frequency and you may want to try it and see how it goes. The way to do this would be to go into the editor and change the segments in one of the preset programs. You'll want to save this to the Utility section so that you don't lose the original program.

Hope this answers your question. If not, keep asking.

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes it does help answer the question though I'm not sure how to edit a program as of yet. Although new to mind machines I have been meditating for many years and it seems that on the Proteus at the beginning of a session it is much more agitating and "monkey mind" than when I meditate even at the beginning of a sitting. I can more easily drop into a meditative state in my usual practice. But I have wanted one of these machines for years and would like to be able to create or find the right session for entering into and maintaining the meditative state.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the reply.
    Yes it does help answer the question though I'm not sure how to edit a program as of yet. Although new to mind machines I have been meditating for many years and it seems that on the Proteus at the beginning of a session it is much more agitating and "monkey mind" than when I meditate even at the beginning of a sitting. I can more easily drop into a meditative state in my usual practice. But I have wanted one of these machines for years and would like to be able to create or find the right session for entering into and maintaining the meditative state.
    There are a couple of programs that start at 4 hz - which is Theta and the ideal state for meditation. P 28 and 37 are good ones to try.

P16 starts at 12 hz which is borderline high Alpha and you shouldn't find that agitating or was that the program that bugged you? If not, try P16 or any of the "Mind Lab Learn" programs (they vary only in program time).

Let me know if any of these programs work better for you.

M.
    Marisa Broughton, MCHT, MNLP
    Canadian Distributor for Mindplace
    http://www.ayrmetes.com

Hey, if someone makes a good post, don't forget to click http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...ations-40b.png at the bottom of their post to add to their reputation!

Thanks for the info.
    Will give those sessions a try.

Blog Entries

Thanks Andy.
    Also when selecting an audio file from the computer to play with the Proteus the volume on the music file can only be increased to a certain level then must be adjusted on the Proteus but the music and the pulse remain at the same levels. In other words I'm unable to adjust them separately. Is that correct or is there another way to operate the volume
    Check out the documentation for the newer OS (v2.5+) here: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/Proteus.htm, just under the Editor link is a pdf that discusses the changes in the OS.

Specifically, regarding the issue you're having:
    New features: firmware (OS)
    1) The volume of the internal sounds can now be adjusted independently from external sounds in the Pxx and Uxx modes.
    This setting also works in the USr and PC modes but has to be set in the Pxx or Uxx mode.
    When the Proteus is turned on, the volume setting for the internal sounds is set to its maximum value.

Usage
    While a session is running, press the middle and bottom buttons at the same time and hold. This will cause the internal volume to decrease then go off over approximately 5 seconds. It will hold at the off level for half a second then cycle back up to full volume.
    This setting is retained as long as the unit is turned on. The overall loudness of the mixed internal and external sound is still affected by the volume control.

Thanks Andy, I will give that a try.

Thanks Andy and Marisa.
    Now can adjust internal and external sound and volume.
    And have found some sessions that are fitting.

Thread Information