Thread: Audiostrobe problem

Unhappy Audiostrobe problem

I recently got a Proteus and I love it! the only problem I have run into is with AS. I have tried running NP2 on my pc and the sample AS CD in my cd player using the AS function. I connect my audio source to the AUX jack on the proteus, power on and put in AS mode. The glasses immediately start to pulse every so many seconds. At first i thought that was normal and that when the proteus started to get the audio signal that all would be fine but this "initial pulsing" continues through the session interrupting every four seconds or so. I have upgraded to firmware 2.8. I am using the aux cable supplied with the proteus to connect my audio source. Is there a configuration utility for Audiostrobe setup that i am missing? I have tried using different audio sources (different cd players and my laptop with NP2) and keep getting the same result. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This forum great! lots of great information!!

Thanks,

Chris

Blog Entries

Default Re: Audiostrobe problem

Hello Chris and welcome!

Are you running the Proteus from batteries or an AC adapter? Try it both ways and see if it works properly one way or the other.

If the problem is with batteries, you may need fresh ones, if it's with the AC adapter, you may have a ground loop. Do you hear any buzz or noise through the headphones (plugged into the Proteus) when you plug in the CD player, with the player paused, into the Proteus?

If there's a noise causing the random flashes, you should be able to hear it. Also on some CD players the anti-skip function messes up the audiostrobe, but you said that you tried it with your computer as well.

A slim possibility exists that the cable you have connecting the Proteus to the CD player/Computer is bad, but that's not very likely.

Do you get the flashes with the volume turned down on the CD player? When it's paused?

Let me know some more details and we'll get this figured out.

-Andy.

Talking Re: Audiostrobe problem

Hi Andy! Thanks for such a quick reply. I have done a bit of testing and here is what i found:
    With new batteries and a thicker gauge aux cable the interference is much less but still happens. If I use my laptop with NP2 I can get the AS to work by adjusting the laptop volume up all the way, connect the new aux cable (the interference is much worse with the thinner wire), connect my headphones to the head phone jack on the proteus (I tried splitting the 1/8 jack at the laptop with a splitter and connect aux and phones to the adapter but the interference was worse), then use the audiostrobe utility in NP2 and adjust the brighness on the proteus down until the pulsing stops. Then i can run a session in NP, works great as long as i am in a dark room. I have a workaround so i'm not that worried, but the problem is really interesting. Do you think it is a ground loop? Which would make sense for the PC but when i try to use CD player (tried several) the cd player AS functions the same as with the laptop only much dimmer. The brightness has to be adjusted very low to stop the pulsing and then the AS track is very low. Crosstalk maybe? Can you get a ground loop from a CD player? is there a way to filter it if so? Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Chris
    Last edited by furyu; 12-07-2009 at 06:58 AM.

Default Re: Audiostrobe problem

It's Fixed! I got one of those 1/8" cords with the filters at each end (not sure what it's called) and that solved the problem. I am really loving the Proteus and NP2 and now AS works perfectly. Thanks for your help and prompt reply!

Cheers,

Chris

Thread Information