View RSS Feed

neuroasis

Fractal and Spin Spaces Test Files

Rate this Entry
In response to a discussion here: http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...s&goto=newpost I've decided to revisit what I know about creating fractals and spin systems.

Test files are attached here.

These are SpectraStrobe files for the Kasina. There is no audio and I am using only the Red LED at its brightest setting. What is mainly being altered is the frequency controlled live in an audio editor and also the pulse width using an audio gate.

Correction: the Spin Spaces has all the lights on at once. It seems this optimizes the feeling of spin due to the separation of the LEDs covering a wider range of the visual field and stimulating more neurons. At least I think so, but subject to correction.

The fractal images compare favorably with the geometry in the AudioStrobe titles, especially Fractal Dance. There is a fair representation of the major types of fractals that AVS creates.

These are test and catalog files to showcase some techniques. The images change more quickly than they would in the context of session, also with very little space or breathing room between them. So it is kind of an intense experience.

Please test and tell me what you think.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails Attached Files

Submit "Fractal and Spin Spaces Test Files" to Facebook Submit "Fractal and Spin Spaces Test Files" to Google Submit "Fractal and Spin Spaces Test Files" to Digg Submit "Fractal and Spin Spaces Test Files" to del.icio.us Submit "Fractal and Spin Spaces Test Files" to StumbleUpon

Updated 05-13-2019 at 10:13 AM by Andy (Removed old links and re-added files as attachments)

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Fractal-Systems... loved it... this is the most crisp I've seen to date. Amazing that you could do so much with so little. The frames only showed a square red light blinking, yet I definitely picked up many other colors while viewing.

Spin-Systems... lights moved way too fast for me. This actually had all my the colors blinking and was overkill imo. I can't keep up with it when it's too fast. I think this is a big reason I'm having trouble with the Kasina overall as my mind can't process these fast changing images. Need something a bit more mellow like the Fractal-Systems.

Look forward to comments from others!
    Fast frequency changes have a tendency to produce illusionary colors. There are hints of whites, yellows, and even blues in these changes. These are especially apparent in high beta changes.
    It is usually around 18hz or so that you start to see entoptic imagery like little crosses, stars, or x's. These phenomena fascinate me.

The frequencies in the Spin Systems aren't any faster than the fractal ones. All range from 1hz to 30hz, with emphasis on the mid high end. In fact, really the spin ones tend more toward the slower end than the fractals. Maybe the additional LEDs are overwhelming you? Again as mentioned in a normal session these would be broken up by more solid fields and slower changes.
    I mentioned as well that these tests were created in an audio editor, in my case Ableton Live. I have an Operator synth that is set to produce the SS red signal, 18700hz. Another track contains a reference signal recording.
    I map the modulation wheel on a keyboard to control the frequency of an Auto Pan effect which is set to act as an LFO.
    Then I just put on the glasses, push a key on my keyboard which triggers the Red and play with the mod wheel while recording the output.
    Fractals like this really need to be tweaked live to experiment with settings that produce the best images. With the midi sequencer you can record a control track which captures your moves on the mod wheel. This is in addition to recording the actual light output as audio. So you can edit and alter the effects or pick the best sections, quite easily afterwards.
    You wrote "The frequencies in the Spin Systems aren't any faster than the fractal ones. All range from 1hz to 30hz, with emphasis on the mid high end. In fact, really the spin ones tend more toward the slower end than the fractals. Maybe the additional LEDs are overwhelming you?"

Good point! I think that's exactly what's overwhelming me. I've tried turning the visuals down to 80, then 50, then all the way down to 10 for the Kasina built in sessions. Still experimenting with this. Will need to find a good number that keeps the original idea of the programmers' (sound and images) intention intact yet find an experience that is on balance for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroasis
    Fast frequency changes have a tendency to produce illusionary colors.
    I created a test file that shows some color illusions here:
    http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru...olor-Illusions
    Thanks Scott. Will check this out first thing when back from holiday. Was going to sneak the Kasina in but wife knows me too well to bring this along.
    Seems like the files are no longer available. Any chance of getting them uploaded again please? Thanks!

KL
    Quote Originally Posted by Oohyeah KL
    Seems like the files are no longer available. Any chance of getting them uploaded again please? Thanks!

KL
    Done!

Thank you for letting us know.