View RSS Feed

Robert Austin

Video review of our 1990s era MindLab and Esprit AVS systems on YouTube

Rate this Entry
Chris Payne (LifeTools UK) has posted a video he made in the 1990s, which features our old MindLab and Esprit light and sound systems. Nice 'blast from the past' for those of you interested in our history, and that of the AVS field in general. (Thanks, Andy, for bringing this to my attention):

Submit "Video review of our 1990s era MindLab and Esprit AVS systems on YouTube" to Facebook Submit "Video review of our 1990s era MindLab and Esprit AVS systems on YouTube" to Google Submit "Video review of our 1990s era MindLab and Esprit AVS systems on YouTube" to Digg Submit "Video review of our 1990s era MindLab and Esprit AVS systems on YouTube" to del.icio.us Submit "Video review of our 1990s era MindLab and Esprit AVS systems on YouTube" to StumbleUpon

Categories
AVS , Light and Sound

Comments

The video was brought to my attention from a customer (Nona) who still enjoys her Esprit, purchased 20-ish years ago! How's that for product quality?!
    Very nice blast from the past. I gotta say that the old red light only glasses do gve you a pretty wide colour spectrum (eyes closed only of course).
    I purchased my first L & S machine from LifeTools, the Mindlab DLS, way back in 1995 and aside from a change in rechargeable batteries is still going strong to this day, so there's another testament to product longevity. And yes, the red LED glasses are pretty impressive. My first ever L & S session was hooking the DLS up to my cassette deck with the Audio Illusions PolySync cassette (remember those with the squarky sounds at the beginning) and being blown away by the colour spectrum.
    Ah, the good old days, coming up with a technique for placing session encoding on a cassette tape led to few options. We did turn off the audio output on the MindLab when those modem-style tones were uploading a session to the MindLab. We found also that a 60 minute audio piece might take 58 minutes to play back on one machine, and 62 on another, so eventually moved to CD and use of the less powerful but more accurate AudioStrobe approach. For a real blast from the past, have a look at the timeline on our Facebook page... in our earlier years we seemed to release a new piece of technology every year, sometimes more than one. And if I recall correctly, the MindLab was the first AVS system that could be programmed via PC.