View RSS Feed

neuroasis

Synchromuse Session for Sleep Induction

Rate this Entry
Hello all,
In response to a request from Ryan I have created a 60 minute sleep induction session using MindWorkstation Enterprise from Transparent Corp. I have added a Synchromuse program as well for Procyon users. For Sirius or Proteus there is a standard AudioStrobe track in the audio. The file is 103Mb because it is a 60 min high bitrate mp3. There is a zip archive that contains the audio and the Procyon session files. Load the session file to your Procyon and put it into dL2 or dAS mode and play the audio from your computer or mp3 player. It should automatically trigger the session to play.

https://soundcloud.com/neuroasis/sleep-cycle

I have added an mp3 to SoundCloud that triggers Synchromuse from my computer but not from my mp3 player Maybe the mp3 playback engine is still filtering higher frequencies. I would appreciate if others would test this out and let me know if works for them.
The FLAC file is still available from the link below. If you don't want to download that archive, I have attached the session files to the bottom of this post.

The zip archive is here: http://db.tt/Elwamg7O . Right click on the link and choose Save As... It will be added it to the SoundCloud account sometime soon.

Let me briefly describe what is going on with this session as there are several new theories that I am pursuing.

There is a lot of power in audio. Mostly meditation audio seeks to become 'wallpaper', to be soothing and non-challenging. This makes a great deal of sense if the goal is to bliss out. This type of audio leaves room for the mind to wander as it leaves space for stray thoughts. This is almost always a good thing and I live on that type of music.

However, another type of meditation audio can be deliberately challenging at moments. I find that people do not usually tolerate high pitches very well. Because they act as slight irritants they are good for creating contrast or what I have begun to think of as 'thought-stopping' techniques.

Ryan's request centered around the trouble that he has sleeping due to chronic pain from a spinal injury. I had a serious injury earlier in my life that required a couple of surgeries, weeks in 'traction' and nearly a year of recovery. So recalling that I can relate to overwhelming pain. The point is that pain takes center stage in our attention. The goal of any type of pain medication is to dull it to a tolerable level so that it doesn't completely override all of our other thoughts.

It is not wholly different when trying to meditate. One of the biggest challenges is to quiet our active thoughts. The more we try to reign in stray thoughts, the harder it is. Also, we become very aware of random sensations in our body. The slightest itch or pressure can be amplified to ridiculous levels. Therefore in both cases a thought stopping technique is a good thing.

The interesting thing about thoughts (and pain) is that often we sense them as being continuous. This may not be exactly true. When we pay close attention we see that they occur in waves. Of course I can only speak for my own perception. Pain is the same way. It occurs in waves. We all know the experience of throbbing.

So part of the strategy is to recognize the peaks and valleys of the waves. When we find the 'spaces' in between then we can seek to stretch the distance between them or apply counter rhythms to dampen them.

In the audio session I have included a high continuous tone in the beginning that breaks up and fades over time. It is prominent so it commands your attention. Ride it all the way out and you will be rewarded.

The main frequencies of the track are in the sub-delta range. Google what research shows this is useful for as we can make no medical claims. The channels start with dissociative alpha frequencies and ramp quickly down to placate the chattering left brain while the right brain is activated.

Toward the middle and end of the track it dissolves to pure white noise so as not to require any further attention.

The Synchromuse shows a really wide ranging palette of subtle and beautiful colors, thanks to the slow frequencies. They are extremely soothing and catnaps in and out create nice, pleasant imagery. This is a deep track. No need to hold on to the end. Just let yourself drift away...

As always feedback is encouraged and appreciated.

Ryan, I hope this helps you. Please share your results.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Attached Files

Submit "Synchromuse Session for Sleep Induction" to Facebook Submit "Synchromuse Session for Sleep Induction" to Google Submit "Synchromuse Session for Sleep Induction" to Digg Submit "Synchromuse Session for Sleep Induction" to del.icio.us Submit "Synchromuse Session for Sleep Induction" to StumbleUpon

Updated 01-19-2015 at 11:28 AM by neuroasis (Addded Soundccloud file and session archive)

Categories
AVS , Light and Sound

Comments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That sounds promising! Thanks Neurodude, I'll give that a go now
    Right, I still can't play them but I'm getting a better idea of why I think. I can save the file and extract it but when I try and play it I still get an error message telling me it can't play the "unknown file extension (.) " I'm starting to wonder if a system registry cleaner might sort out some little errors here and there. I don't suppose you know of a free or otherwise trustworthy one do you? I'm a bit reluctant to buy the ones I've just been looking at because all of the testimonials looked pretty suspicious in thier wording.....
    Ok, maybe getting closer... The files with the extensions .PRw and .PRh cannot be 'played' by clicking on them. You have to open the Procyon AVS editor then choose the File menu and then Open Session File. Browse to the folder where you downloaded the files and open Sleep Cycle.PRw. The session should open in the editor and the title bar should say Procyon: Editing... Sleep Cycle.PRw. Press the Run Segments button (the Procyon should be on, plugged in to a USB port, set to PC mode on the display, connected to the editor with the Serial Communication...Open COM port command). The session should play on your Procyon.

Now you must store the session on the Procyon. Choose the menu Session Tools and then Upload Session to Procyon. In the dialog that pops up choose Append if Possible. It should upload the session. If you haven't added any sessions prior to this then the session number will be 50.
    Right we have progress! I can now get right to the Procyon editer part. Following your instructions, when I choose "save to Procyon" The dialogue box isn't popping up (Which it did a few days back) instead my Procyon switches from displaying the word "PC" to "dL2" with no apparent progress beyond that point. I didn't attempt to actually play the session first though, was that a required part of the installation or is something else happening here? Close though I think!
    Done it ! I'll have to report back in the morning as to whether all went well or not but it certainly looks like it's worked, I have a number 50 ! I didn't really do anything differently apart from downloading the file and extracting it all over again?! Odd. Anyway hopefully that has worked ok and I'll be back with good news 1..........2................3............... Horaaaaaaaaay ! Finally ! lol
    I got it but with no sound so I'll have another go later on this evening and see if I can see any reason why that might be the case. I do remember seeing a sound box there, maybe it was unticked or something. Anyway, that's basically a success I think! Thanks for your help dude Not everyone sticks with a problem like this on forums, you're obviously as patient as I am
    There is no sound in the session file. That is what the audio file is for.
    Oh. I'm confused now lol Am I supposed to be playing the sound file through an Ipod or similar then?
    I've got my patch lead sorted out now so I suppose I could upload the sound file to my Ipod if it does need to be played seperately?
    Yes play the audio file while in dAS mode on the Procyon (push middle button 4 times) I cannot guarantee that the mp3 which you must use for an iPod will trigger the session. Still working out issues with that. If it doesn't simply select the session in SES mode (1st mode) and push play on the Procyon when you hear the little audio blip.
    Okay, I'll give that a go tonight cheers
    Ooooohd dude ! That was so impressive! I'm only used to the binaural beats normally so the voices and ocean were incredible! Didn't send me to sleep but then neither did my usual guaranteed one and a cheat problem was the reason there I think. That and it's new and therefore exciting. I'll get used to it before I do a more in depth report. That's really lit a fire under me that has though Scott, how can I even start to learn to do that? I'd love to be able to express myself in this most beautiful of functional art forms! Is there any reading up or anything you could recommend? I have music making software and powerful computers all here at the ready so I think it's just a case of taking the time to learn and good grief I'm very willing to put the time in! Any little tit bits or links or anything muchly appreciated
    Chest*
    I'm very happy that you have gotten it working. Certainly adding music and sound effects increases the enjoyment of sessions a great deal. More information on creating sessions will be coming soon. For now, continue to explore the music and files available. My other tracks are AudioStrobe and they are very interesting experiences as well. Thanks for your enthusiasm and comments.
    Yep, will do I did start doing some session building on the Proteus but then decided on a move up to the Procyon before I put the major effort in. I'm an artist at work, an artist at home and I love the thought that I now have a whole new and very different artform at my finger tips I'll have a "push button bash" soon I think. Always the best way to get started
    Hello neuroasis

I have the session on my procyon. I have tried the mp3. It triggers the session from itunes only for me. Not from windows media player or my ipod. The link for the flac file is no longer working. If possible, can you reupload it again? I'm eager to try this.

Thanks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12