View RSS Feed

neuroasis

Home Base

Rate this Entry
As a further step in introductory material I have uploaded a few pictures of my current home studio.

Detail pictures are available in an album on my profile. http://www.mindplacesupport.com/foru....php?albumid=1

These should give everyone an idea of the tools I am working with and may discuss at some point or another. Feel free to inquire about any of the items you see.

Submit "Home Base" to Facebook Submit "Home Base" to Google Submit "Home Base" to Digg Submit "Home Base" to del.icio.us Submit "Home Base" to StumbleUpon

Categories
Human Interest , AVS , Technology

Comments

That's a great setup. Looks like a great place to get things done.
    Cool stuff on your wall! Love the big screen monitors.

I'm too embarrassed to take a picture of my work space. Maybe when Andy gets me a spanky new desk.
    Great kit! Was that a Metasynth tutorial on one of those screens? My favorite piece of audio software, especially with the last update, running native and not on Rosetta. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marisa
    Cool stuff on your wall! Love the big screen monitors.

I'm too embarrassed to take a picture of my work space. Maybe when Andy gets me a spanky new desk.
    Believe me, I cleaned up before I took the pictures

As far as the monitors they were best investment ever. The main one the 32 inch studio monitor keeps you focused on what you are working on as you can make it rather large, even enough to somewhat fill your peripheral vision. Also you can place multiple apps on the screen at the same time to build 'dashboards' which can be productive as well. The portrait mode (rotating on arm) is a fairly new addition but I wish I had done it years ago. A full page for reading fits so nicely on it and with the arm you are able to pull it close to you.

I love metal sculptures and have many pieces throughout the house.

Thanks for commenting!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    That's a great setup. Looks like a great place to get things done.
    Thanks Andy. Everything has a place and everything in its place... at least in theory
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Austin
    Great kit! Was that a Metasynth tutorial on one of those screens? My favorite piece of audio software, especially with the last update, running native and not on Rosetta. :-)
    Wow, good eye! I used Metasynth for years on Mac OS 9 (which I still keep running for BlissPaint, Korg Oasys PCI, and a few other goodies that never made the transition to OS X) and they just recently offered me a $149 upgrade price... so that was a no-brainer. I am working with creating Audiostrobe and Entrainment audio with it... so you will see some posts about that upcoming. Have you ever used it for this purpose before?
    I've mainly used it for sound design that I've done for a Seattle composer over the years, as well as pieces for my own amusement, but have been doing some experiments with ambient music as well--my experience of music and sound has been that it can be very psychoactive in itself, leaving aside binaural beats and pulsed sound. The 'wave organ' short piece used in the Synchromuse tutorial was made from samples of a... wave organ on a little isthmus off downtown San Francisco, near the Golden Gate bridge. It starts out with straight samples which undergo a transformation into something strange, and then back again, which can be a powerful symbol, arcing out at the extreme to the sorts of Hero's Quest that Joseph Campbell so eloquently documented.
    I made the AS tracks on our main five titles (vol 1) using an early version of the Kyma/Capybara system, which I used for sound design before Metasynth came along and spoiled me.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the fruits of your experimentation with light and sound! :-)
    Totally agree about psychoactive sound. I create drone based ambient music and have been doing work with pulsed LFOs and time transformed environmental sounds. I think that the current Synchromuse piece Solar Neighbor is a good example of what can be done with entrainment integrated in the soundscape itself, not superimposed on top. It has inspired my experiments in this area. I am guilty of being too much of tweaker so I'm trying to build myself up just to release some stuff even if I don't consider it complete. The blog format helps this because I can add caveats.

I was always on the edge of purchasing a Kyma but could never get the credit card down enough But the Korg Oasys with all the Harm Visser physical models fulfilled my needs nicely.

Just again for background, I ran an ambient Shoutcast station for years, Neurostream. It is the one you see on the MindStereo screenshots on the Transparent site. Changes in legislation and royalty payments made it impossible to continue. Drone Zone from Soma FM still fills the niche quite well though.
    The Korg Oasys has long beckoned me... excellent piece of kit, and likely easier to program than the Capybara, as the Kyma software controlling it has a somewhat MAX-like interface (and tangental remembrances to Max Matthews, father of Computer Music programming languages, who passed on recently). I'm definitely a fan of physical modeling, and bought a Korg Wavedrum last year, which has some great percussion models.

Alas, my Capybara 320 has been superceded, but I hope soon to boot its 16 DSP chips back into service... :-)

Had a look and listen to Neurostream last night, and kudos to you for running that! I ran avantgardemusic.org for a year or so, but was spooked by the RIAA and royalty requirements, though the avangardeproject eventually superseded that concept. I favor the idea that out of print titles be made available freely online, unless and until the copyright holder decides to put it back 'in print'.
    Robert, you are going to get me in trouble I had pushed the Wavedrum re-release out of mind until you reminded me... So now I see them on eBay for under $400. Hmmm... I have a Roland Handsonic and have used it to trigger Oasys models and that is really versatile and cool. I wonder how many of those sounds are available on the Wavedrum and if they would be even more playable and responsive. Mind sharing a quick review?
    One of the things I like about the wavedrum is the use of a real drum head and tensioners, so I can tune it in the same way as a standard drum. The physical models sound quite good overall, and I like the ability to bend notes by applying pressure to the head... the tabla sounds are quite good in this regard! The snare drum sound is a bit artificial, but I'm used to the sound of real snares on my kit. Overall, a lot of fun and flexibility, with plenty of presets. I wish they had added a USB port and PC or Mac software for modding the sounds, but maybe that's their upgrade path? Well built, overall with metal on plastic, and the metal rim is usually mapped onto an instrument. Hope that's not too quick... :-)