Blog Comments

Hey Feebo until we get more training things in the pipeline (which is in progress) you might want to check out NeuroProgrammer3 from Transparent. It is a really awesome program to start creating brainwave audio.
    Well I had go with it last night and was very impressed! I had lots and lots of paqrticularly beautiful and unusually detailed patterns going on which was great My only negative comment would be that I found the sound a little distracting but then I'm used to just the binaural beats.... Really nice though that! I'll be giving it a whirl again tonight I think
    Exellent ! I look forward to trying this one out. It is suitable for the Procyon I take it? If you're watching this thread Craig, would you mind posting a walk through of the workflow? I'm just starting out and could do with the insight. No worries if it's a bit of a fuss....
    Here is the video embedded for reference.

I know my tutorials are rather long but that means detailed as well. (at least I hope you think so) More to come!

Thanks Robert for posting this and pointing it out.
    Thanks for posting this Robert. I need to read Megabrain, as I'm sure it will fill in many of the gaps I have in my general AVS / brainwave knowledge. Take care.

Mark Turney
    (Visual Segment Developer creator)
    I'm going to have to check this out. Thanks for the commentary and link Robert.

MT
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia
    Along these lines , I have an Iphone app like this that projects slowly changing colour washes onto the wall and ceiling to help you relax and go to sleep.
    That sounds quite interesting. Do you have a link?
    Thanks Robert ! This exercise has given me a new appreciation for the subtleties of programming these machines for the purposes of `mind art '. Although I can't say I can see a gradual shift in colour per se - what I have noticed is that I seem to get periodic flushes of much deeper colour where the flashing seems to dwell - its like there is a resonant frequency within the entrainment frequency - it seems to be faster than the difference between the pulse frequency ..I can see perhaps 5 or 6 strong flushes of a deeper green peak and subside over a 1 minute period which is twice as many as I would expect if it were just the resonant frequency between the two channels of colour. When I run both channels at the same frequency i don't really get the effect, and the colour stays more an amber perception. Running the two colours in perfect unison also gives me a more uniform visual field with less visual artifacts. I spent a fair bit of time programming the exercise in two channels to trigger via audiostrobe with Mind Workstation but did not get nearly as vivid effects as programming the machine directly. I also find my old style glasses to produce more vivid visuals than th etri -colour glasses but then I don't have any comparable 2 colour Ganzfield frames to make a direct comparison.

Just for fun , while using the tri - colour I programmed in a 0.3 HZ blue colour pulse/wash underneath and found it added a whole new ambience to the exercise. Very nice...
    "Adding external displays which convert a wall or other object into a sort of 'strobo-sculpture' may be a next step in advancing this technology."

Along these lines , I have an Iphone app like this that projects slowly changing colour washes onto the wall and ceiling to help you relax and go to sleep.
    I liked the sculpture idea you came up with a few years back. I think everything house, bar, spa, therapists office .... should have one.

M.
    I have noticed these 'stop-gaps' as well. When I know it is really working and I go deep there is a sense of 'expansion'. That is, it is like emerging from the shadows into a large (infinite?) plane (like maybe a really large warehouse) It is just a sense of 'space' opening up. Astral plane some would say. However, it is a definite feeling and crossover that occurs. It took me a long time to be able to maintain this perspective and work in the space. Any others experience this?

I can attest but wouldn't admit to in a court of law that the imagery of psychedelics is very similar to that of photic stimulation. 'Flashback' triggers are a very interesting topic to me as well.
    Check out Heinrich Kluver's book, "Mescal and the mechanisms of hallucination" - and you'll notice that the sorts of visual imagery shown in his book often match those you see during photic stimulation. He called these 'form constants' (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_constant). J D Cowan writes about the sorts of patterns which form in the visual cortex (using hallucinogens, but I think this applies to photic stim as well) - you can find some of his work online. One phenomenon I noticed, especially with single color, single frequency stimulation was that the stimulation frequency seemed to slow to a stop for short periods, even though the lights were still running at a fixed frequency. I wonder if those are moments when true 'entrainment' occurs: that is, when my collective brainwave activity was following the lights. From what I've read, this typically will occur for only a few seconds at a time, so mostly we are observing the 'frequency following effect' rather than 'entrainment' per se.
    Wow, great tips Robert! Thanks!

Good question Scott, I am reading a book on how the mind gets tricked when seeing visual illusions .. I wonder if there is a relationship. I'll let you know if I find anything. The book, by the way is: Sleights of Mind: What the Neuroscience of Magic Reveals about our everyday deceptions by Stephen Macknik and Susana Martinez-Conde.
    Excellent stuff Robert! I hope this is the first of many such posts and it will encourage people to share patterns and try their hand at programming. I wonder if there is any theoretical body of knowledge on how these patterns are perceived and synthesized by our visual cortex? I imagine it is encompassed somewhat in the study of Persistence of Vision or optical illusions but I intuitively sense there is much more going on here.
    I bought one of the books that was discussed on one of the podcasts, "Sleights of Mind: What the Neuroscience of Magic Reveals about our Everyday Deceptions" by Stephen Macknik, Susana Martinez-Conde, Sandra Blakeslee. It's a pretty good book - very much about visual illusions and the mind.
    A great post , Robert. Being an aussie I have listened to that show on and off for years but had forgotten about it in the last couple. I will avail myself of some of the episode MP3's now that I have a good Ipod.
    Been listening to the one on The Myth of Alzheimer's and it's awesome. Thanks Robert.
    I loved Norman Dodge's book, especially impessed with the woman who was mentally disabled and still pursued, and got, a university degree.

Buzaki's book ... still a challenge to read but I will prevail and understand it one day. lol I think I'll check out the pod casts.
    That sounds like some very interesting material. I'll check it out. Thanks for sharing it!
    He wrote "The Clinical Guide to LIght/Sound"
    Updated 05-16-2011 at 12:35 PM by Anji
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast